Sunday, April 18, 2010

El Paso Drive

Another original composition by me!


Equal parts soft and abrasive. The music here was mostly thought up something like fourteen years ago (1996ish), and only recently elaborated on and finished. Never throw out those ideas, folks! Also, the title comes from a somewhat visceral set of memories from even further back in my life to 1988 when I went on a road trip with my family from San Antonio, Texas, to Disneyland, California. Along the way, we passed through El Paso approaching dusk. Somehow, something in this music brings the view of the desert and sky through those van windows back into my brain. This happened when I first came up with the music those years ago, and happens still. Familiar smells can abruptly hurtle a person back to another point in their life, and I suppose music composed nearly a decade after an event can, without the intent to even do so, link one's mind in the same way, too. I wish I understood how that works. But, hey, it's a neat way to remember something that I have no photos of so that's nice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey grand, come back.

love danimal